Saturday, October 13, 2012

off color tweets

Awkward moments on twitter

Josh Groban started tweeting names of body parts, female body parts.

Some of us started tweeting names of body parts, male body parts -- at Josh -- especially about Josh's body parts -- and strategic pictures of Josh.

Who knows how much he reads or what he notices?  He tries to read his own twitter, but he has 500k followers now.  Probably he misses a lot.   He's a good scanner.  He picks up a lot.  He seems to try to tweet a new person every day, to spread the love around.  He does that well. He doesn't repeat often.

Anyway, last night he tweeted about a body part again.

That set us off -- the pictures started going around again, the comments.  I don't remember exactly what I tweeted, but it was at best suggestive -- if not explicit.

This time a new participant saw our tweets, a guy.  He told Josh.  Josh noticed.  Josh said it was gross.

Was this really the first time he noticed?  Or was he aware before, enjoying it, and just pretended he thought it was gross, because he was talking to another guy?  Who knows?

Ok, Josh, you know, a lot of women find it gross when you tweet the names of female body parts.  Now you know how it feels.

Then, suddenly, I realize that Josh is not the only person I follow.  I also follow some child performers. Some of the people I have met on twitter are kids who follow those child performers.  I remember that one of the people who actively follows me is a 13 year old girl from Indonesia, a Muslim.

Oops.

We really need to be careful on twitter.

---------------

Addendum:  Need to remember that if I tweet another user, with their ID at the start of the message, then that tweet will only appear on the timelines of my followers if they also follow that user.  If one of the ID's at the start of the message is Josh's ID, then anyone who follows me and Josh will see it.

I believe that if I put Josh's ID at the end of the message that might not happen, but Josh would still see it in his timeline --- assuming he looks.  Perhaps that might be safer if the tweets are off color.

No comments:

Post a Comment