Saturday, December 22, 2012

re: The Mayan Apocalypse and my Quixotic Quest


(also posted on Bad Grobanites, today) 

I am very intrigued with this Mayan apocalypse phenomenon.  It really captured the attention of people all over the world.  

Connie Talbot, who I follow, is currently in Asia.  One of the Asians who interviewed her asked her what she would do if the world was about to end.  She said she would sing & spend time with family.  Nice answer.

A neighbor of mine came out with a single celebrating the event.  She's 22 & and trying to become a singer songwriter.


People from various countries gathered in Mexico for some kind of spiritual get together.

This is reminding me of my Quixotic Quest for the world anthem. 

When I originally started thinking about this topic, it was in the context of singing Michael Jackson's song "Heal the World."  I wrote a letter to Josh that I posted on this forum back in 2010.  I decided I should put it up on my blog for historical context, for me

http://straightarrow372.blogspot.com/2012/12/letter-to-josh-of-october-2010.html

Now I'm starting to think of this Quixotic Quest a bit differently, more in that in order for the world to have peace there has to be some sense of common culture, some common holidays, some common songs, and so forth.  

This year I was intrigued with the way "Gangnum Style" took the world by storm.  

The Mayan Apocalypse thing was similar, a kind of informal international celebration that huge numbers of people observed.  Not too many people took it seriously, but it was intriguing to think about.  There have been a lot of humorous posts since then with the name "worst apocalypse ever."  It is something that almost everyone could laugh about.

I like seeing this kind of thing.  It gives me hope for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment