Friday, February 1, 2013

Josh at Times Center

Everyone presumably already saw this event.  If not you can see it here

http://new.livestream.com/nytimes/joshgroban

This was the first time I ever paid to go to an interview.  It was a long one and very nice.  Josh really held his own well for all that time, as I'm sure everyone saw.

I think that was the smallest venue I've heard him sing in -- about 200 people, I think.  I am a real stickler for overtones and I was very happy to be able to hear them.  The dynamic range of Josh's voice was very dramatic, especially because when he went full volume he seemed to overwhelm the sound system, and there were weird reverberations in the room.  Still, it was great to hear him so close.

I was struck at the difference in piano playing style between Ruslan and Mark Stephens.  Mark was typically more the sort to blend in, while Ruslan is more the sort to stand out.  Mark always sat very still, also, while Ruslan moves around a lot.  On the whole, I enjoyed the change and the dynamic flourishes that Ruslan added.

I got to meet @imzadi4ever from twitter.  She showed me pictures of her Irish wolfhounds, which were impressive.  Also, I was impressed that, despite it being really cold and windy, she wore no coat or gloves outside.  She is really toughened up from living in Vermont.  We also went out for coffee afterwards.  I can gradually see where going to Josh events could become more about seeing other Grobies than about seeing Josh.  Not quite there yet, but I can see where it might happen.

I also saw several other Grobies who I knew, like @jennr473, @dodoNYC, Lily, Stacey, @prgt, @feb27song, and Night Owl.  Some of them have twitter handles, which I may fill in when I'm less tired & have time to find them.  

I read on the Marquis that the Times Center space that was used for this event is available for weddings and bar mitzvahs and the like, which surprised me.  It was an attractive space, with a huge lobby, very nice restrooms, and a great courtyard.  The chairs in the theater are comfortable, and there is a lot of attractive wood paneling around.

Some of us waited outside for Josh to come out, but he came out on the other side of the building.

I was really happy to see Josh wearing boots.  I did not like those sneakers he wore on the last tour.

I think Josh may have gotten some more kinks out of his voice recently.  Some of his loud notes were particularly spectacular.

Also, some of us have been thinking that he looked too thin recently, but I thought he looked ok at this event.

--------------

Went back & watched online today.

He looked much thinner in person, than he looks on the video.

Maybe I need new speakers for my computer, I don't know, but what I'm hearing on the video just does not sound at all like what i heard in person.  The overtones are gone -- clipped.  The dynamic range is much reduced, so the loud notes are not even close to being as loud as they were in person.

You also can't hear the weird reverbs that I heard in the venue.

You can hear, though, how much more prominent Ruslan's style is than Tariqh's




No comments:

Post a Comment