Tuesday, July 16, 2013

repeat of Fathom event

So I missed the first movie theater showing of this event, because I was actually live in the Allen Room.  Therefore I wanted to see the movie version.

This was a really good show.

Before the movie, where they usually have trailers of other movies, they had Josh trivia.  After the movie, they had a "making of" thing about "All that Echoes".

The only thing that was missing was the "Play Me" encore that we heard in the Allen Room, but which apparently the cameras never picked up.

I was struck again at how very pale Josh looked, particularly at the beginning of the concert.  Later in the concert, his color seemed to improve.

There was a problem for me at the Allen Room, which you'll have noticed if you have been reading this blog, that the first part of the concert was too loud.  Josh even commented on that during the concert.

I had hoped that the movie theater would not have this problem.  This turned out to be true.  The concert was never too loud in the movie theater.

Unfortunately, though, they still seemed to be skimping on reproducing the overtones.  People often comment that Josh sounds better live.  I believe this is due to overtones.  Digital reproduction techniques remove some of these, skimping on storage space and transmission bandwidth.  Audio experts think that people can't tell the difference.

I think people can tell the difference.  They might not be able to articulate it well, but they feel something different when the overtones are there.  I suspect that the studies that show that people cannot tell the difference are flawed, because the effect is mostly subliminal -- and people cannot well articulate a sense of subliminal excitement that comes from proper reproduction of overtones.

In any case, attendance was very light -- only about 20 people in my theater in White Plains, NY -- and at least six of those people were at the live concert, possibly more.

I do find the light attendance baffling.  Aside from possibly missing overtones, which I can't even be sure about, even, the music was fabulous.

I think the "All that Echoes" album is a fantastic album.  I cannot understand why it isn't selling better.  I also think this was a fabulous concert.

It's so frustrating to me as a fan, because I know that I won't be able to get as many recordings and concerts of Josh's music as I would like, if the albums and concerts don't sell.  And I want those albums and concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment