Friday, November 8, 2013

Josh Groban appearance on Crazy Ones

Well that was interesting.  I just listened to Josh sing on Crazy Ones.  It totally was not the same voice that I just heard in concert.  I might have thought that it wasn't him, except that I know he has a lot of different voices.

This voice on Crazy Ones did not have vibrato.  It was not as loud as he sang in concert, where he seemed to be on forte or fortissimo most of the time.  It was just a plain, pop or folk style.  It sounded relaxed, clear, and warm.

I wonder what would happen if he sometimes used that voice in concert.  

I'm trying to think about what draws me to Josh's music.  Certainly, his beautiful, multi-textured voice is important, but that's certainly not all it is.  I like the music as well. There's something very different about his music, something about the note and chord sequences he uses, something about the instrumental composition.  It's definitely not all the voice.

Which is not to say that I don't care about the voice.  I particularly hate when it sounds strained and painful.  That just makes me cringe.

On the other hand, I can't say that, if it were a simpler voice, like what I hear on Crazy Ones, I would like the music less.  It's the music as a whole that I like, not just the voice -- and the voice on Crazy Ones was at least not strained.

Josh is a competitive sports fan.  I think he approaches singing like a competitive sport, enjoying showing off his range and his volume.  But there could be benefits to simplicity

--------------

Now, as to his acting, I think he did a good job.   He's always really good with spurned or broken hearted emotions.  I guess he has some experience to draw on in that area -- alas.

It was certainly a nice, meaty role, with a lot of lines.  He's moving up in these sitcoms.

The leather jacket seems odd to me.  I grew up in a time when leather jackets were still considered sort of low life.

No comments:

Post a Comment