Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Silent Night with Descant

Oh, dear.

I posted these youtube videos back in 2011.

descant take 1

descant take 2 [actually the second take is much worse than the first, so you should really only watch the first ]

I learned the descant in elementary school.  It was written by my elementary school music teacher Dorothy L. Williams (1924-2011)

I got the sheet music for the descant from  a childhood friend who was in the same grade as I was in my elementary school.  Another friend, from the same grade, got permission from her children for us to use the descant, so long as we credited her.

When I got the sheet music, I realized I had made some errors in singing it.  I always meant to correct the errors, but I never got a round to it.  Now these things have a lot of views and people are learning the descant wrong.

Here is the old sheet music, that originally appeared on a purple mimeograph.  Please use this instead of what I sang.


There was an odd synchronicity about these videos.  I started getting obsessed with this song that I remembered from elementary school (1960-1968) and made the videos.  Then I learned that Mrs. Williams had just died.  So there was a weird element of ESP about the whole thing.  I should do this again to make sure it's correct.


No comments:

Post a Comment