Sunday, October 23, 2016

Bob Dylan and the Nobel Prize

So many questions

Why is he silent?

Is he troubled by the award?  Maybe because Alfred Nobel made his money from TNT, which is very destructive both in war and in peace? Maybe because he's a recluse?

Is he still thinking about it?  Is it better to remain silent while he thinks about it?  Is he working on a thoughtful or musical response? Surely, it would be nice to get a new song out of this.  Maybe they should just let him percolate, hoping for a musical response.

The committee that awards the prize calls him arrogant for failing to respond.  Really?  Isn't it arrogant of them to expect a busy celebrity to drop everything and respond?

Is he having some other problem?  Perhaps a health issue, which makes it difficult to respond?

I took modern dance from kindergarten to 9th grade.  During part of that time, the class was in the local Unitarian Church.  This church was a landmark, because it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.  There were interesting places to climb on in the church.  When we had our recital, at one point, the church let us perform during the service -- Unitarians being quite flexible in such things.

I remember I chose Dylan's "Masters of War" as the accompaniment of my dance.  I carried my brother's toy gun during the dance and fired it at one point.  It made a loud noise.  This was before it was illegal to make toy guns look real.  It looked satisfyingly like a real rifle.

I felt really significant and artistic doing this dance.  It was during the Viet Nam war.  I was upset about the war.  I though Dylan's commentary poignant.

I also always liked singing Dylan's "Blowing in the Wind."

As an adult, I became a religious pacifist, joining the Religious Society of Friends, Quaker.

I felt Dylan was an influence for peace for sure.  The award seems appropriate to me.

But who knows what he is thinking?


No comments:

Post a Comment