Friday, December 7, 2018

Comparing Freddie Mercury and Adam Lambert

I've been obsessively watching Queen videos since I saw Bohemian Rhapsody. I had been fairly ignorant of them before.

I didn't think I would like them, because I usually like pop/classical crossover -- yet, strangely, I seem to.

I ran across this video comparing Freddie and Adam (who is currently touring with Queen). The guy posting asked for comments, so I offered my two cents. Then I decided to add my comments to this blog.



Adam is a tenor. Freddie was a baritone. Adam is more relaxed on the high notes and does amazing melisma. Freddie was better at capturing an Elvis-like voice -- and put in more different textures and styles. Freddie played instruments, being a more all round musician, while Adam only sings. Freddie was more committed and intense -- but there was also something forced about the way he moved. As I watch him, I see him thinking about how to get the audience's attention, often by being as outrageous as possible. Adam is more relaxed and natural. When Adam went on American Idol, he had already been performing for 20 years. Now it's more like 30. His superior experience shows in his lesser desperation to attract attention. Adam is a more modest dresser than Freddie. Which is curious, because Freddie had this reputation as a shy, private person, while Adam is more confident and relaxed. I note that Adam has gained some weight since this video, which, in a way, is a relief, since Freddie wasted away. I would say that Adam is prettier than Freddy, and softer. You know a lot of this is a matter of taste and timing. If Adam were the dead legend and Freddie were the replacement, people would be saying that Freddie wasn't quite Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment