Tuesday, November 12, 2019

@HomeFreeGuys @TownHallNYC 11/10/19


 Last night I wrote this really long blog about my experience listening to Greyson Chance at Sony Hall. I had mixed feelings about that performance. It wasn’t absolutely terrible, but I can’t say I enjoyed the  experience.

Tonight I went to see Home Free at the Town Hall. I guess I’ve often written blogs when where  I was irked, restless, dissatisfied.

I wonder if I can write such a long blog about a concert that I liked. This one was really fun.

I find that a cappella music doesn’t irritate my audio sensitivities as much as most instrumental music. Also this one was not too loud. I find that with the Broadway theaters. They seem to know how to make the volume just right. It’s loud enough that you can hear it distinctly. But it’s not so loud that it hurts your ears. I don’t know why other venues can’t get that right.

I saw Home Free live a few years back. They were very good then, but they’re better now. They’ve become better dancers. Their voices sound even more beautiful than before. They’ve learned how to use looping.

Adam Rupp, who was always amazing, has become just incredible. His solo was quite long. The sounds he made were astounding diverse. He even did Michael Jackson and he danced like Michael Jackson. He did things like a high kick, while beatboxing, and singing falsetto at the same time. I don’t know how he could do that. It was really phenomenal. I should’ve recorded it. I didn’t. I was just floored.

It was interesting thatTim Faust described Adam as this being the founder of the band. Previously I thought I it was  his brother Chris. Perhaps they founded it together. I don’t know. I had thought Chris had drafted Adam. It’s funny how the stories change over time. But Chris hasn’t been around for a while. He’s been pursuing a solo career but seems to be going in a different direction musically from Home Free, tho I know Tim Foust did a video with him not too long ago.

Once, in comments to a YouTube video, there were indications that Austin Brown might have been having personality conflicts with other band members – leading me to wonder if that had anything to do with Chris’s departure.

I feel like their videos have lost a lot, since his departure. He was the brains behind the group, I think. Their music is still very beautiful, but the videos used to be really funny, and they’re not now.. but they still make amazing music, which isn’t a total loss.

I was sad that the hall wasn’t filled. I thought they were this really famous band. YouTube led me to them. I assumed YouTube would lead other people to them.  They have millions of views. Still, a lot of people still haven’t heard of them.

This summer I met a guy who works as a DJ doing country music in New Hampshire. To my shock he had never heard of Home Free. I had him listen to some YouTube videos on my phone. Maybe he will remember that he has heard of them now.

At least Home Free got a number 2 record with this last album, and a world tour. That is pretty amazing for people who are supported mainly by Patreon and YouTube, and not a record label.

I guess there are too many acts, too many celebrities, too much music. Everyone can’t hear everything.  Still they are really good, and people should go see them. I don’t understand why the hall wasn’t full.

The people who were there were enthusiastic. I feel New York audiences are generally exceptionally supportive. I think that’s because many of us have been performers or are still trying to be performers, so we know what it is to be up there.

I bought an album, even though it was seemingly overpriced $25. I told myself it would be worth it because I was going to get an autograph. But then I didn’t. It was a long line for autographs. I wanted to catch a train. I had to get up early the next morning. The theater was only eight minutes walk from Grand Central, and there was a train leaving in 20 minutes.

But, as Tim Faust pointed out, if we want them to continue performing we have to buy their music so that they can afford to keep making music, so I guess it was OK, though I wonder if I’ll listen to it

I really thought I would be able to trust Home Free not to shine bright lights in my eyes. But that rust turned out to be missplaced. They did shine very bright light lights into my eyes for one song. Also the opening number started out backlit, like the  Greyson Chance concert the day before. The backlighting hurt my eyes too.

They had us make Instagram post because they wanted us to create a buzz fror the concert, or rather for the group. They promised that during intermission I would look at all the Instagram posts and give someone a free backstage pass. I actually made three posts, very unusual for me, but they didn’t choose me. They are very conscious of social media. They know that their success depends upon it.

Tim seemed to get the loudest cheers from the audience.  I guess that makes sense. I've always found him the most charismatic of the group.

Tim said there were celebrities in the audience.  I didn't go up to the balcony railing to ogle them, so I don't know who those folks were.  He said they were a cappella royalty, so I'm thinking Pentatonix, but who knows?

I may add more later

#HomeFreeGuys #TownHallNYC #DiveBarSaints #DiveBarSaintsWorldTour


No comments:

Post a Comment