Monday, April 29, 2013

My Interpretation of "False Alarms"

Someone asked me what I think the words of "False Alarms" mean.  This was my attempt at interpreting this song.

I love this song, BTW.  I really like when Josh does stuff that sounds like new music.  That's my favorite part of what he does.


Far across this red horizon

Red horizon symbolizes anger
I am walking down the line
I am picking up the pieces
That this storm has left behind
There’s been a bad fight
After all the clouds have fallen
I would breach the battle ground
Turn your darkness into the light
Turn your silence into sound
She isn’t speaking to him.  He wants to try to make up and get her to talk to him again.
(Chorus 1)
But I can’t cage you in my arms
When my heart is jumping forward
To avoid your false alarms.

This has happened before.  He feels like his efforts to hold onto her are hurting him, because it happens so often.
And you can’t tell me not to stay
When I opened up the window
And I watched you fly away

He wonders why he should have to keep running after her.  She’s the one always picking the fight.  He feels a bit defensive about not continuing to try to make up.
Have you raised the final anchor?
Have you cut the mast-sail free?
Sending offer to redemption
Like a funeral at sea
He wonders whether this storm out is really the last one, or whether she’s planning to come back and try again.  Going on can be a kind of redemption, much as in a religious context people believe that the afterlife can be a kind of redemption.
I will always hear you calling
You’re the sway of falling leaves
Like a bird you’ll spiral onward
And you’ll know just where I’ll be
He’s still thinking about her and hoping she’ll come back, but he’s not going to chase her. The spiral might indicate that she's taking emotional chaos with her as she goes on.
And I am closing up my window
‘till I see a blue horizon
And the quiet call of love will fly my way

He’s not going to keep looking after her.  The blue horizon is one that is peaceful and not full of rage.  He’s hoping something more peaceful will come by, rather than all this drama

Oh, in case you don't know, "False Alarms" is a song from the album "All That Echoes," by Josh Groban.  I love this whole album.

No comments:

Post a Comment