Thursday, October 17, 2013

role of social networking/autism in success in poster contest

OK, so I submitted an entry to the poster contest.  Here is the link

http://www.talenthouse.com/creativeinvites/preview/a706ca90ef153c7fe2439266b963c457/5188

I chose night sky colors, because the concerts were at night, and also because the inside of the arena is dark.

Later, when I started seeing concert videos, I saw that purple was a dominant color in the lighting.  That was serendipitous. One of my friends said my Josh meter must have been working.

I used the tour date information to surround Josh like the audience in the In The Round tour.

The work was all done by hand, tho using a computer tablet and stylus device.

A lot of people told me they liked this.

Still, I'm not in the top 50.  

It occurs to me that being a mildly autistic person without a lot of close friends could hurt in a contest like this.  People are going to vote for their friends, or, of course, themselves.  

I am slightly suspicious that the poster that wins this contest will be that of the person who is the best social networker rather than the best poster.

This is not to say that my poster is best at all.  I have no clue, really, what is best.  Still, given that you have to register for this website, and get presumably spam afterwards, it's going to take a certain amount of hardiness to brave the thing.  I doubt that very many casual fans are going to go in and vote objectively, though I do see that 453 people saw my entry.

Anyway, I had fun designing the poster whether I win or not

-----------------------------------------

Copy of the poster

The colors look different here on this blog.  It's better to look at the Talenthouse website.  In particular the spray paint layer in the middle is more subtle in the original and creates more of a 3D effect.  Also, this looks bluer than the original, which is more purple, but I'm posting a copy anyway. 





It was a disadvantage that I designed this by hand on my computer, because it's sideways compared with a normal poster.


------------------------------

Aside:

I did some drafts in other colors.  If you're interested, I posted them on twitter


I also did a blue one at one point and tried different shades of red and yellow.

I designed this with Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 

-----------------------

November 2017

I'm going to upload some more drafts here






No comments:

Post a Comment