Monday, December 29, 2014

Progress on the quixotic quest


I'm seeing a bit of progress on my quixotic quest for the world anthem.  If you want to know more about my history with this quest, please search this blog for "quixotic."

This was my original letter to Josh Groban on this topic Letter to Josh to start you out.

UN Imagine Project


I recently noticed Jackie Evancho participating in the UN #IMAGINE project, via the following YouTube video:


JACKIE EVANCHO AND FRIENDS FOR UN #IMAGINE PROJECT

This project is trying to get people all over the world to sing John Lennon's song "Imagine" together.

If you want to register for this project, go to the following link

 UN #IMAGINE PROJECT

This song is a very popular song, worldwide, and it does advocate for world peace, which is cool, but I'm surprised that UNICEF chooses it, because it is fundamentally an atheist song -- imagining no God.  This isn't a very unifying theme in a world where many people are far from being atheists.  I would prefer a song that is religion neutral.  Still, I'm glad that they're trying.

Unfortunately, tho, I don't see how you can participate in the project unless you have an iphone or an ipad.  I personally have an Android phone.  How do I sign up?  I don't know yet.

Free U2 song


Since I originally formulated this quixotic quest, I've broadened it somewhat.  I would like to see multiple opportunities for international celebration: not only singing a world anthem together, but also having international holidays, where everyone celebrates or laughs together, like the Mayan Apocalypse . I would like to see the development of international culture, a sense of us, rather than us/them.

In this respect I am noticing that a free song that I got from Sony/U2 called "Invisible" has this as part of the chorus.  "There is no us. There is no them."  I'm not sure if Sony gave this song away free, because they wanted to promote a U2 album, or whether they were pushing it as a song to promote World Peace.  I find the song a bit difficult to follow, but I am noting that this piece of the chorus is a peace theme (semi-accidental pun) and generally in line with my quixotic quest ideas, so I'm glad that Sony decided to distribute it so broadly.

Anyway, I continue to be encouraged about what seems like some gradual progress on my quixotic quest idea.




No comments:

Post a Comment