Friday, May 10, 2013

Lily Tomlin, Tarrytown Music Hall, 5/10/13


This was a delightful performance.  She's 73, but she was running all over the stage and dancing energetically.  

She researched current events and history of Tarrytown and added jokes to her routine that were customized to our local culture.   She mixed in sound effects and film clips.  She brought back many of her classic characters: Ernestine, Edith Ann, Mrs. Judith Beasley, The Tasteful Lady, Lucile the Rubber Freak, and the homeless lady.   Some of the film clips were historical, but one was recent, that she used to cover her exit, so that no one would be waiting for her by the stage door, probably.

She did loose her train of thought three times, which obviously bothered her, but she recovered from it very nicely.   We tend to have a lot of older performers at the Tarrytown Music Hall, so we're used to the fact that they might not be quite where they were.  In this case, She was just utterly delightful, even when confused and complaining about random electrical discharges in her brain.

She said she's been actively touring pretty continuously.  

She mentioned her partner in the credits at the beginning, but we never saw the partner.  I have to imagine that she was managing the sound effects and film clips.  

My favorite skit was where she was dramatizing the travails of a middle aged couple coping with a teenage daughter who is screaming at them constantly.  I still have a teenager.  I don't ever remember laughing so hard.  I was really crying from laughter. I'm not sure I ever did that before.  She played father, mother, and teenager, all brilliantly.

I had seen her back on Laugh In when I was a kid.  I had heard about her one woman show on Broadway.   I am so, so grateful I finally got to see her in person.

It was a disadvantage that I was in the balcony and could not see her face clearly.  I should have brought my binoculars.  Trifocals work poorly when looking down at a distance.  

I finally got the bladder thing debugged, I think.  I abstained from herbal tea, vitamins, fruits, AND night shade veggies before the performance.  I was fine.  I need to remember this for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment