Sunday, May 19, 2013

OMG! He did it again

Josh tweeted me again, which resulted in all kinds of excitement.  Not sure which order to put this stuff in.  I am using this blog as a way to memorialize what happened.

Let me try to summarize or clarify what happened from my perspective.  

The last photo I saw of Kim Kardashian was her in a bikini.  She is pregnant.   She was brave to show off her enlarged tummy and arms and legs swollen with the fluid retention that accompanies pregnancy.



When I was pregnant, I was horrified at my condition and terrified of becoming a mom.  I admire Kim. I admire her confidence in her appearance.

Josh tweeted something about some beautiful, thin women lying on a bed spread and joked about Kim Kardashian letting them lie on her.  





I thought of the photo in a bikini and of my own shame at my own pregnancies and cringed.  I told Josh so.



He came back, a bit defensively, and said that he was only joking at her dress.

Here is a snapshot of that, with some of the ensuing discussion


Here is an elucidation of the bedspread photo joke.


I am somewhat gratified that Josh was not intentionally joking about her pregnant form, but I'm not entirely satisfied.  I think that the buzz over the loud dress is because Kim is large, just as the buzz about Adele's dress a few months back was because she was large.  If they were thin, they would not have been criticized for wearing loud dresses.

I seem to recall that Josh may have joined in on the discussion of Adele's dress as well.

Heavy women are supposed to wear black, and fade into the background.  How dare they wear something loud?  Well, I am admire Kim and Adele for wearing something they like, not trying to fade into the background like they are expected to -- not feeling shame at being large the way they are expected to feel shame.  Good for them!

Now there is some difference here.  Adele is heavy because she eats too much.  Kim is heavy, because she is a healthy, pregnant woman.   I can see people being uncomfortable with the fact that Adele seems to be showing off an eating disorder -- but no one should be uncomfortable with Kim showing off her pregnancy.

I still think it's insulting to make a joke about Kim's dress looking like a bedspread.  Sure some pundits might have said it looked like a bedspread, but it doesn't mean that Josh needs to make a joke about it as if he were some schoolyard bully.

Also, his original tweet said they were laying on Kim Kardashian, not on her dress, so I think my original interpretation that he was saying she was as big as a king-sized bed is not an unreasonable one. I don't really feel like I should apologize for this, contrary to what Carol is asserting -- see the copies of tweets below.


---------------------

BTW, Josh, I am really enjoying my Target edition of "All that Echoes," the third copy I bought of this album.  I'm listening to it all the time.  So I'm not disappointed in that.

-----------------------


I have snapshotted some of the later interactions, which I am putting below.


























repeat of above with addition at bottom:



No comments:

Post a Comment