Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Oof!  What a day!  Josh tweeted me twice.

Here is a snapshot of the interaction



These were the questions I asked


  • Why are you afraid of dancing (what he actually responded to)
  • You promised us a piano/zhonghu duet in 2010.  Where is it?
  • Why is your touring band all male? #looksdiscriminatory
  • Why are none of your instrumentalists older women #againlooksdiscriminatory
  • Do you think you're *really* still a "high" baritone? #notconvinced #voicechangingwithage
  • [really an aside on another topic: Parasites would improve our health, actually.  Removing parasites from the system gives rise to immune dysfunction]
  • Did you find more comfortable contacts or are you performing in pain #wincingwhilewatching
  • Have you considered electric violins? Maybe they would blend better when amplified.
  • Why no intermissions? I don't like to have to dehydrate before your concerts. #weakbladder
[oops found two more, see below]

These were not all negative questions.  Some were, but they were not all.  

The one he responded to was "Why are you afraid of dancing?" That's not negative.

I'm actually very sympathetic about the contacts.  I stopped wearing mine because they were uncomfortable.

The voice is something I'm concerned about, because I like Josh's music & I do want him to sound his best, and some of his notes haven't been sounding that great recently.

The zhonghu thing is more of a joke.

The electric violin thing is a serious question.  I think they might sound better.  The sound from loud acoustic instruments can blur with their amplified sound, causing the whole piece to deteriorate.  I think that's part of why I've had trouble listening to Josh's music live, as opposed to on albums, but I didn't think it was a negative question.

I *am* being confrontational about the composition of his band, his orchestra, and his music videos.  He made his fortune off older women, yet he doesn't want us in the picture.  This is a serious thing that I am truly furious about -- and I am going to continue being confrontational about it.  It's just wrong.  

I have tweeted him several times that I still love him, even when I'm angry at him, which I trust he reads also.

Some responses




Now Little Grey Kitty is obviously being humorous.

Lara Edwards is openly hostile.

I'm not sure if Pookies Mom, Marcia Bee, and Kathleen are positive or negative -- though I note they retweet the tweet where Josh asks why I am hostile, but not the one where he says he's kidding -- so I am thinking they disapprove of my questions.

Otherwise, the people who tweeted me were supportive, which was gratifying.  A couple were as concerned as I am about the discrimination thing.



Addenda:

Another negative comment appeared overnight


Some positive also

I also had a prophetic exchange with Dan Wilson before all this happened

I hope no one minds my publishing their comments here.  They were on open twitter.  I'm not publishing DMs.  I think these tweets are important facts necessary to understanding the events that happened to me.

Oh, yes:

Two more questions I asked yesterday

Did you know that sometimes the light reflects a circle off your contacts & you look like a cyborg?
How can I get DVDs of the Allen Room and iheart radio concerts? I loved those

The first was intended to be funny. The second was clearly positive.

And then one today:
What are your religious beliefs?

I should add that I continued to get negative comments from the one really hostile fan today



A person who thinks Josh's fans are happy 100% of the time was certainly not reading my timeline yesterday. Please also see the next blog on declining record sales.

More dialog



Note elegant language at the end.


This twitter user has now blocked me.  I hope that means she will also stop tweeting me.


In another part of this dialog, I cited this article      

I do feel that speaking truth to power is a service.


More Lara later:





Lara remained obsessed as of 5/12/13 per below

I decided to block her as tiresome.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that not all of your questions were negative they were quite interesting. But you can't be serious with those "discriminatory" questions. Come on, he choose his band members based on talent not gender, skin color, age or nationality. I think Josh is far from discriminatory. That's one of the reasons I love him so much.
    There are the "old" members like Tariqh and Andre. Everyone loves them they have big talent and they’re always nice with fans. I’m sure you love them too. Before Christian there were Lucia and also there were Vanessa, Claire, Tawnee all pretty ladies on tour with him
    And about the older women... If you watch carefully you can see there were occasions when there were older ladies AND older men among band members (wallmart, brave studio videos etc) If you want proof just look around Josh’s staff too. There ARE older women. (IMO a tour can be really exhausting sometimes so maybe you should consider this too.)
    So yeah I think Josh didn't discriminate anyone anytime. You should really over think those questions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instances that have disturbed me

      1) Noticing that almost all the behind the scenes people on his albums are male -- confirmed by recent photos of the recording studio
      2) Free screening of coffee town: fans over 40 reported being turned away -- not under his control, but it was brought to his attention and he did not apologize for it either
      3) During filming of "If I Walk Away," filmed by Josh's brother Chris, there were scenes of fans getting autographs signed. Older fans reported being shoed out of the picture.
      4) Yes beautiful women are featured in the front row of his orchestra, somewhat exploitive -- very visible in the "I Believe" video. In the Awake tour, some of those women also went on tour. On this tour, only men are touring, while women are temps in the various locations. I would be willing to bet that the men on tour are getting more money than the temps.

      Yes, older men are appearing in these situations, while older women are not. He tolerates chubby older men better than chubby older women.

      Josh has himself said that he was traumatized by having so many older fans when younger. I don't think he has really thought about this carefully, but I believe that the evidence of discrimination is strong.

      Delete
    2. 1, If I know right statistically there are more male producers, sound engineers, conductors etc. in studios. But he also mentions Chantal Kreviazuk who was the co-writer of "Brave" and of course the beautiful duet with Laura Pausini. Again he worked with those whom he worked with the last albums. And there were always been more men in band/studio. (An other singer I like Michael Bublé - he's got maybe one woman in band too... I believe he also choose his band members based on talent not because he'd be a discriminatory)
      2, This is really not his fault. He is "just" an actor in that movie, has a little part of it. I don't think he should apologize for something he didn't do. As you just wrote it - it was not under his control
      3, I don't know about this. But either way that scene was 5 seconds and I remember one or two faces from the crowd it was not significant for me (That's my favourite music video by the way)
      4, Really don't know anything about this. But of course it make sense - more concert/work means more money. But I don't think Josh send the women away from band and keep the men. Maybe I'm naive but I think it's just a coincidence...

      No, watch again. Both examples I wrote before. There ARE older women in the orchestra in those videos.

      I think Josh meant an other way what he was saying. I think he was overwhelmed by the attention he was getting from an older, more experienced crowd with bigger expectations. He had to grow up very quickly to understand his audience.

      Don't get me wrong I don't want to protect him, he can protect himself if he wants to. I don't think he's perfect nobody is. It's just my very own opinion. Maybe I'm wrong and you're right. But he's always very nice with fans never heard any complain before about discrimination and it surprised me that you accused him. I don't know if you've met him before but usually he is really kind with fans no matter the age/gender. Always take time to sign autographs after concerts which he really don't HAVE to do but he does and I appreciate it.

      Ps.: I think Josh would be the happiest if pretty ladies would surround him LOL But maybe he couldn't concentrate on music then :)

      Delete